How to Stop Liking Sugary Foods?Jun 27, 2012
I got a great question today. Someone told me she’s good at cutting out sugar on a detox, but then over time it creeps back into her life. She asked, “how do I stop liking sugary foods?”
The truth is, we can’t. Our bodies are designed to like the sweet stuff, it is highly addictive. I mean, addictive as in it lights up the same reward centers in your brain as cocaine.
“If you find yourself irresistably attracted to foods that are either sweet or salty, you are not alone. You’re actually hardwired to seek out these tastes and fat, because in times of scarcity, they would have enhanced the likelihood of passing on your genes to your children. Sweetness, salt, and fat are each essential for survival, but in excess each has become a hindrance to our health.” – Dr. Gundry’s Diet Evolution
But there’s still much we can do!
My top tips are:
1) Get some sweet flavors in your meals – such as butternut squash soup, sweet potatoes, carrots, roasted veggies. Artichokes taste sweet to me, am I the only one?
2) Find some healthy treats that you truly enjoy – this might be a bowl of blueberries or raspberries. Frozen cherries dusted with cocoa powder = heaven!
3) Get some fancier sugar-free desserts in your reperetoire. This way you never have to feel deprived! My favorites at the moment are below, just click on the picture to go to the recipe:
Key Lime Pudding
Banana Soft Serve
In the Power Bar recipe, you can skip the agave nectar or use raw honey instead for lower sugar.
4) In my experience, Shakeology can really help to zap your sugar cravings. The protein in the shakes, and the easy-to-digest nutrients and superfoods come together for a serious sugar-busting experience. It’s happened to me and I’ve seen tons of people have the same experience.
5) Remember, that if you have a little sugar you will want more. The less you eat, the less you crave. And if your diet is loaded with veggies and nutrients, you will have less cravings for junk!
Please share your tips for getting off processed sugar with us.
P.S. Bonus tip: yoga works wonders too!
Cozy Little Sleeper, a 3-week course for newborns age 0 to 4 months
Fix Your Baby's Schedule
Is your baby's sleep schedule all over the place? If a consistent schedule would be a huge relief, download this free guide for all the tips I teach clients to set a predictable daily schedule for baby.
We will never sell your information, for any reason.